Being prepared for a tropical storm or hurricane will help with the stress of preparing for a hurricane.
You never know where and what you will be doing when that tropical storm warning comes about. You could be coming back from vacation, a business trip or out of town altogether.
Ask these 4 questions of your employees and family members to start putting together your disaster plan:
How will you receive emergency alerts and warnings?
- Do you have a weather radio? If not, now is the time to get one.
- Have you subscribed to Weather Emergency Alerts from your local news?
What is your shelter plan?
- Identify safe places in your home to weather the storm. Make sure your safe place is:
- Area with no windows or doors
- Stocked with emergency supplies
- Access to food & water
What is Your Evacuation Route?
- Leave early enough to not be caught in traffic
- If you cannot leave sooner, think about the best ways to get out of Vero Beach that will be the least congested
- Develop a plan in case you get seperated from your family members
- Keep extra gas at your home so you are ready to leave without being stuck at the gas pumps
- Put an emergency kit in your car
- Have a plan to evacuate family members that are disabled
What is your communication plan?