When water floods your home, it creates a humid environment that is warm- perfect conditions for mold to grow! No matter whether the water is from a washer or toilet that has overflowed, water from a broken pipe or even water from storm damage- the combination of the bacteria in the water with the bacteria in the carpet creates the optimal environment for mold growth in your water soaked carpet.
The sooner you can get the water out of your carpet, the higher your chances are that you can salvage your carpet from water damage and mold growth.This is why it’s so important to call certified water damage restoration technicians right when the water damage occurs.. they can work quickly to restore your carpet and prevent mold growth,
How? Consider the steps our water damage restoration technicians take to get the water out of your carpet:
- Extract the water. Our first step is to extract the water out of your home or business. We use high power vacuums and pumps to accomplish this.
- Use fans. Just as fans cool you off on a hot day, fans serve two purposes in water damage cleanup. First they circulate the air to keep the mold away. Second, they dry out the interior of your home or business.
- Dehumidify. Mold loves humidity. The use of high power dehumidifiers is crucial.
- Clean the carpets. As soon as the water is extracted from your carpets, they have to be sanitized to remove any mold or mildew that might have been introduced. This also cleans the carpets from any bacteria that might have been present in the water itself.
- Clean walls and baseboards. After water damage, not only do your carpets need to be cleaned, but your walls and baseboards have to be cleaned as well. Same concept of why you clean the carpet- get rid of bacteria in the water and get rid of any mold spores that might have the opportunity to set in.
- Dry out your furniture. Most water damage to carpets to not occur in rooms that are empty of furniture. An important consideration is making sure all furniture is properly dried out and cleaned to keep mold from growing in the areas that have come in contact with the water. The quicker you can get your furniture out of the room and start drying it out, the higher your chance of being able to salvage that furniture.
If you experience water damage to your carpet in your home or business, call the water damage experts here at ServcieMaster By Glenn’s immediately to increase your chances of restoring your carpet and furniture. The longer you wait, the harder it is for us to save you money. We focus on restoration, not replacement!